Monado - XR Runtime (XRT)
What is Monado?
Monado is an open source XR runtime delivering immersive experiences such as VR and AR on on mobile, PC/desktop, and any other device (because gosh darn people come up with a lot of weird hardware). Monado aims to be a complete and conforming implementation of the OpenXR API made by Khronos. The project currently is being developed for GNU/Linux and aims to support other operating systems in the near future. “Monado” has no specific meaning and is just a name.
What exactly does it entail?
By using dark rituals of the old ones we seal the magic smoke in the HMDs, then we call to the magic rainbow unicorns that brings light to the screen.
- Work in progress outside in-tracking
- Supports multiple devices
- Initial OpenXR API support
- Both Vulkan and OpenGL integration enabled
- Headless mode enabled
- Space relations and view getting
- Basic frame timing
- Basic input (actions) working
- Working compositor, see below
- Includes a working Compositor
- Supports direct mode (requires new enough X)
- Specific shader for Vive
- Panotools shader
- Only support for projection layers
So what does that mean?
It means you can start writing a OpenXR application and get rotational tracking using a host of supported devices via OpenHMD. Monado also gives you access to direct mode without you having to write a single line of X11 code. The compositor also takes care of distortion for you.
Code of Conduct
We follow the standard freedesktop.org code of conduct, available at https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeOfConduct/, which is based on the Contributor Covenant.
Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported by contacting:
- First-line project contacts:
- freedesktop.org contacts: see most recent list at https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeOfConduct/
Contributing & Repos
The main repository is https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/monado/monado and has
documentation on how to get started and contribute. Please refer to the
CONTRIBUTING.md file in the repository for details.
For other questions and just hanging out you can find us here: